Ever since I was a child I was always wanting to visit different places, to travel, and to explore. When I was in middle school I got the privilege of doing some inter-city mission work. My first time on an airplane and first time out of the country was with my church my senior year of high school.
I got the immense privilege of traveling with a group of amazing individuals to the Philippians for a work and witness trip. We were in Baguio City for two weeks building a girls dormitory on a Christian campus. I knew then that this experience was a huge privilege for me but I didn't know then that the time there in that country, with that team, meeting those different native students, learning greetings in their language, singing/worshiping with them would change my life. God started right there to ignite the fire of missions, travel, culture, people...in my soul.
I got the immense privilege of traveling with a group of amazing individuals to the Philippians for a work and witness trip. We were in Baguio City for two weeks building a girls dormitory on a Christian campus. I knew then that this experience was a huge privilege for me but I didn't know then that the time there in that country, with that team, meeting those different native students, learning greetings in their language, singing/worshiping with them would change my life. God started right there to ignite the fire of missions, travel, culture, people...in my soul.
After I got home I went about life as usual. I finished high school and went on to college. My love for travel did not die there. The summer between my freshman and sophomore year I spent the summer doing a job selling educational material door to door in Boston (the COMPLETE other side of the country-east coast). I was alone with no car and a heavy backpack going door to door all summer long. That to this day was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I remember many times, especially when it was pouring down rain, I would call my dad crying; seeking some encouragement, some advice, to remind me why I was doing this...it was hard! I learned a lot about myself and again I believe God will continue to reveal to me how all these things are shaping me into the women he desires me to be, in order to expand His kingdom and be a part of His mission for His world...what a privilege!
The summer later (after sophomore year) I got another opportunity to spend three weeks in Europe. I went with my college choir to the Czech Republic, Germany, and Vienna on a choir tour. This again fueled my fire to experience the world God created, meet His people, and praise him through that exploration.
During college I minored in Spanish because I had taken four years of it in high school and wanted to become fluent. I had the opportunity to study abroad in Ecuador for a semester, which I so wanted to do, but out of fear I did not follow through. I thought to myself "No I can't go by myself, this isn't for me, what if..."well that fear ended up with me missing a chance that is my regret of college- not studying abroad. Not only did I love travel, but I loved Spanish and wanted to be fluent, this experience would have done that. Well, you know what they say...hind-sight is 20/20...I wish I knew then what I know now, and that is to do, to go, to rely on the Lord more and more through that journey and those decisions. After college was over I wanted to go into the peace corps. This desire was driven by the same thing; to be submersed for an extended period of time into a culture that is not my own, to build relationships with nationals, to learn another language, to be there and have that cross cultural experience. At that time the church I was a part of discouraged that. They said to look into other options which are Christian, but weren't supportive of the idea in general. I think they were thinking of my overall influence towards God and thought this would lead me away from Him, which at that point they were probably right. Needless to say I did not go into the peace corps and without their support I did not look into another agency to go with. A couple years later I left that church- another story for another time- and got involved with a "Jesus" church. A church who God used to lead me straight back into His embrace fully and completely. In the last two years my faith has grown more than it has in my whole life, and I grew up in the church; going to youth group, summer camp, leading worship...But God became real to me. My faith became my own- not the faith of my dad/family, my friends, my church- but MY faith.
This was launched by an evangelical mission trip to Uganda, September 2009. At first I was hesitant to go on an "evangelistic" mission trip. I thought, "I'm not an evangelist" but God had other thoughts and I praise Him everyday for His consistent presence in the little details of my life, what a good God we have. I fell in love with Him and wanted the world to know.
This was launched by an evangelical mission trip to Uganda, September 2009. At first I was hesitant to go on an "evangelistic" mission trip. I thought, "I'm not an evangelist" but God had other thoughts and I praise Him everyday for His consistent presence in the little details of my life, what a good God we have. I fell in love with Him and wanted the world to know. After returning home from that trip God placed me at a job which had purpose. (I had previously been working as a dispatcher for a plumbing company...nothing I was passionate about). The organization was a child-centered ministry, helping children in need through adoption, orphan care, and short term missions. I started as the orphan care coordinator and a year later was transitioned to the missions department, which by this point you could guess I was pretty passionate about. Over the last year I have learned SO much about missions, and have gotten to go to four different countries within this last year; Uganda, Taiwan, Rwanda, and Ethiopia- and heading back to Ethiopia this coming May to lead a short term trip.

I am currently taking a mission course called Perspectives (I'm not sure if you've heard of it). I love learning about God's heart for missions. He has put this desire in my heart to go long term. I have the short term experience, although I desire to be submersed...to learn their language, to learn their culture, to build relationships, to see what it is to "stay", to have longevity, the list goes on and on. I know this is of the Lord. Even in this email I see God's handiwork all over my life, and am so grateful to be living a life which is purposeful and means something. I want to share that with others out there, in this world God created, and with these peoples who are different than me, but created by my great God. I love people- that is from Him. I want to love them in the name of Jesus.

I am currently taking a mission course called Perspectives (I'm not sure if you've heard of it). I love learning about God's heart for missions. He has put this desire in my heart to go long term. I have the short term experience, although I desire to be submersed...to learn their language, to learn their culture, to build relationships, to see what it is to "stay", to have longevity, the list goes on and on. I know this is of the Lord. Even in this email I see God's handiwork all over my life, and am so grateful to be living a life which is purposeful and means something. I want to share that with others out there, in this world God created, and with these peoples who are different than me, but created by my great God. I love people- that is from Him. I want to love them in the name of Jesus.
At first I had my vision set on Latin America, because of the Spanish aspect, but when the sending agency I'm looking into told me about a Spanish speaking community in INDONESIA, well I about lost it. I thought to myself, hmmm...full circle...Started in the Philippians and now this opportunity in Indonesia. At the end of the day it is God's will I want for my life and if that is Indonesia or Ecuador or Nicaragua...well I am here to do what the Lord has for me to do.
I am in the process of filling out an application and praying for the Lord to continue and direct my path and write my story. It has been such a wild ride so far, and have so much peace about allowing the Lord to lead. I want to be marked by faithfulness and feel this is the direction He is leading. I know if I am obedient and rely fully on Him I will continue to grow into the women He created me to be and continue to impact His kingdom. I thank God for the privilege it is to be used by Him and for Him and long to see more people come to a saving knowledge of who He is!
God is using me, and it is such a blessing. I am truly blessed to be a blessing.
I am in the process of filling out an application and praying for the Lord to continue and direct my path and write my story. It has been such a wild ride so far, and have so much peace about allowing the Lord to lead. I want to be marked by faithfulness and feel this is the direction He is leading. I know if I am obedient and rely fully on Him I will continue to grow into the women He created me to be and continue to impact His kingdom. I thank God for the privilege it is to be used by Him and for Him and long to see more people come to a saving knowledge of who He is!God is using me, and it is such a blessing. I am truly blessed to be a blessing.

No comments:
Post a Comment