Life Verse

"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do." James 1:5-8

Sunday, September 5, 2010

The journey continued

The Journey...Well I am ceased to be amazed at how God is working in my life. There are days that are great and filled with the awe of God and overwhelming comfort from my maker. And then there are days that I find it hard to pick up my bible. but I still find myself being blessed and used by God for a purpose.

December 2001 I got the privilege to go to the Philippines through a Nazarene "work and witness" trip. My youth pastor was going and my friend, Becky and myself (both seniors at this point) had the desire to go. This trip was such a great trip. Made up mostly of older individuals- those I looked up to and loved like aunties and uncles and 2 young good looking guys that went as well. I was so glad Becky was able to go otherwise I would have been the only high schooler there. It was such a great life-changing trip. This was this first time I had even been on an airplane. Flying first from Portland to Seattle in a little puddle jumper then to a double decker plane all the way to Tokyo, Japan. That was a long flight but one I'll never forget. This launched my desire to continue to travel.

In college I studied Spanish as my minor and I remember really wanting to study abroad in Ecuador, but didn't think that I could. Out of that fear of the unknown and not thinking that it was something that I could do I decided to not pursue it. I wish I would have had someone sit me down and convince me, but I didn't. That was one of my biggest "regrets" of college. Instead of studying abroad I did get the opportunity to go to Europe between my junior and senior year on a choir tour. My dad encouraged me that this was something that I would be able to do and helped me raise the money for it.

We went to eastern Europe, Czech Republic (my favorite), Dresden Germany and Vienna Austria. The trip was such an amazing time. I was able once again to see a different part of this world, to experience culture and people and food. I love every part of traveling.

My desire to travel did not end there. I love seeing our world. The people are so diverse and interesting. The food is so different and great. The way people worship is what I believe heaven will be like.

April 2009 the Lord put another opportunity in front of me to go to Uganda with evangelist, Jose Zayas. And again that fear crept in there. Go to Africa with an evangelist? No way. I'm not an evangelist. I'm not bold enough to share my testimony and lead people to the Lord. Well I'm not but the spirit living in me sure is. That trip was so pivotal in my walk with the Lord. My faith grew. My desire to serve the God of this universe and all the people I met along the way increased. How privileged am I to be aware of a life worth living. A life created for a purpose and it's through that purpose that my life is fulfilled. I am to live a life pleasing to my Father. To love His people and to share what He has done in my life with those in my life.

When I started at All God's Children I was so excited to have a job that I could be proud of- a job that was making a difference in the lives of so many people, not only the children we serve but through the families who adopt, support, or go on a mission trip. Their lives are changed because God also has a purpose for them. What a privilege it is for me to have a job that is impacting the Kingdom. There are many times I just sit back and think that I am not worth it- but the blessings I receive from working here and receiving this fulfillment is to pour that back out on those in my life.

Last month I was told that they needed someone to lead short term mission trips to Africa (Rwanda & Ethiopia). My coworker and friend, Erica, recommended me. I am so excited for this opportunity. Since this news I have a had a steep learning curve of all things mission. It is one thing to go on a trip it is entirely another thing to plan, organize, and lead one. There have been high highs and low lows since the news. I know I will not be able to do this job on my own. It is only through the power of the Spirit working in and through me will lives be impacted- including mine.

Last Sunday was a tough day. I was emotional, overwhelmed, and felt defeated. My great friend reminded me that I needed to be dwelling on the things that are TRUE, RIGHT, HONORABLE, EXCELLENT (Philippians 4). It was amazing to me to see how much of the negative wrong things I was thinking on. As soon as I started thinking on the things that were true about me and how God has made me and the opportunities that he has given me and on who He is a peace overwhelmed me. This week at work has been such a blessing. I've been able to accomplish a lot of things that have been so good to get done.

I leave for Africa in 1 month with Erica to lead an individual group in Rwanda. She will be training and introducing me to all the people I will be working with in the future. Then after the team leaves we will continue to travel around visiting different homes and figuring out projects for the upcoming trips back to Rwanda. Then we will venture up to Ethiopia to do the same things. We we be greeted with a church team and will continue to mission with them. I am really looking forward to being in country. All the things I am learning will be able to come into actuality. I learn best with hands on.

This has already been quite the challenge, but I know that I will be able to do it with the strength from God who loves it when we ask. I get the opportunity to travel, see the world (we at least Africa), experience different culture, people, food, to worship the same God with people I will have never met. I am looking forward to this but know it will not come with out warfare. I know this will continue to be a growing time in my life and look forward to continue to be shaped into the women God created me to be.

I sit here amazed at who He is and that He has called me. I farm girl from Bend who never thought I'd travel anywhere. He is using me and He wants to use You. The best thing in my life has been feeling complete and that I have a purpose on this world. Not just to live, fill up on the "good" things in life, and die...but to make a difference while I'm here. And not just a social difference in America, but a kingdom difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment