Rwanda is over, and I am now in Ethiopia. This country is so different. Erica and I have already had some amazing food- if you have not tried Ethiopian food go online, google an Ethiopian restaurant, make sure it has some good comments about it and go- you’ll be amazed and LOVE it, I know I do. I met Bekele who I feel so safe with here; he is like a protective dad, who makes me feel better about being here by myself, if ever that happens, which I’m suspecting it will. We went to Hannah’s Hope and gosh…after seeing the different orphanages in Rwanda, especially Noel; it is a shocking difference of the care and development of these children. Hannah’s Hope is not an orphanage, which is one of the reasons the care is that much more exceptional. These adoptive parents rest assured that their children are getting the best care in Ethiopia, and probably most of Africa.
On the way to Ethiopia from Rwanda Erica and I got to debrief the Rwanda trip and my role. I shared with her that I had been struggling with a lack of encouragement from her. I think this is what God is teaching me on this trip and at this point in my journey. I rely so much on other people, I need them. I don’t need many but I long for affirmation, it confirms what I’m doing and how I’m doing. It spurs me on. While in Rwanda I was not getting that from Erica. It was so hard. I would pray constantly for some sort of encouragement. After hearing that she was holding back for a reason it confirmed with me that God was trying to teach me that He is enough. I know that He is, but experiencing and relying and knowing are different things. God is enough. He’s enough for encouragement, for direction, for wisdom. My heart alone is to serve Him and be used for building up His kingdom, encouraging His people, and loving those who Need to be loved. The biggest thing I take away from doing a job like this one, leading teams to Africa, is it is a privilege. God has chosen me. I am not worthy, nor am I able. But God is able. I find strength in Him and through Him. This is not to say that this is easy by any means, but I stand back and realize that He never said it would be easy. He said trust, work hard, keep my focus/heart/eyes solely on Him and who He is and what He can and has done through me. WOW. Just saying that humbles me. He is using me. I am willing and He is using me, what a privilege.
What I have seen in Rwanda…I have seen so many amazing things. Clean streets, slow cautious drivers- which completely surprised me, big houses, mud houses, BIG smiles, beautiful faces, kindness, compassion, warmth, need, dirty water, amazing hills after hills, soccer matches, gospel shared to 30 street kids, some for the first time, stuffy non-ventilated rooms full to the brim with infants and toddlers, a breath taking sunrise, more giraffes than I’ve seen before, a wonderful Jesus loving couple with a redeemed story, a family who have given up comforts to serve in this amazing city to these boys/girls who just want to “find” love, hard working employees, the nicest old guard man, a team that was so flexible and generous, a one-legged bicyclist, ministries partnering together for the same purpose- God’s kingdom, memorials, hurt, pain, forgiveness, redemption…My heart is full with love for this country and the wonderful people who were brave enough to share their story with us. I thank God for this opportunity to be a smile, a light, an encouragement to the people of Rwanda who have been through so much.
Thank you ALL so much for your prayers. I never ever want to leave home and do God’s work without faithful friends who will intercede on my behalf. I am humbled to do this work, and continue to ask God for his purpose for my life to be fulfilled, and for His wisdom during the journey. The learning curve of life has been steep since June 2009 and continues to climb, but I thank God that He continues to find me wanting to learn more- even when I feel overwhelmed by the steepness of this climb.
I always long for my life to reflect Him and for many to come to know Him like I’ve gotten to know Him. Life could not be more fulfilling as it is now. To Him that can do exceedingly more than I could ever think or imagine…all glory to God, my father and Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment